Pet Health Certificates

Pet Health Certificates in Fort Worth, TX

If you’re planning to travel with your pet, you need to start looking into their traveling requirements. Whether you will be traveling domestically or to another country, having all your pet’s needs and paperwork squared away in time will ensure a much more enjoyable journey for you both!

To make the process even easier, create an account with MyVetLink. Through this account, your veterinarian can provide you with the tests results and documents you need for your trip, and you can access them at any time and from any place.

Frequently Asked Questions About Pet Health Certificates

Consult our FAQ below if you have questions about getting started with your pet’s health and travel certificates, and contact us if you have additional questions!

If your pet is crossing state lines, they need to have a valid rabies certificate, and a health certificate may be required by the state you’re visiting. If your pet is crossing international borders, a health certificate is required. The health certificate, also known as a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), is an official document stating that your pet has been examined by a licensed, USDA-accredited veterinarian and has been found free of communicable diseases or parasites on the day the Certificate was issued. If we are concerned that your pet has a communicable disease, we cannot issue a health certificate. Also, the certificate lists the recent vaccine types and dates of administration. States and countries require different vaccines for travel. Most require microchip identification, blood testing, quarantine, or other specialized forms. You will need a CVI specific to the state or country of destination, and some airlines require a separate Acclimation Certificate. Both of these certificates can only be completed and signed by an accredited veterinarian.

When you return home, we may recommend a follow-up examination to make sure your pet did not acquire any disease or parasites while traveling.

For traveling with your pet within the United States of America (except Hawaii):
  1. Health certificates do not need to be endorsed by the USDA but do need to be signed by a veterinarian.
  2. Most interstate travel requires a health certificate; this is especially important for airline travel. You need to:
    • Call the airline to find out their requirements, which include:
      • Travel carrier requirements
      • Location of pet in plane
      • Sedation policy
      • Health certificate / vaccination / parasite control requirements
    • Provide a copy of your pet’s current rabies certificate
  3. Keep a copy of your domestic health certificate with you while traveling.
  4. Domestic health certificates are typically valid for ten (10) days when flying and thirty (30) days if traveling by land.
  5. If traveling to Hawaii, please see the USDA’s website for this state’s unique requirements.
For traveling with your pet outside of the United States of America, including Hawaii:
  1. Research the requirements of the country you are visiting.
    • Be sure to check regularly as requirements can change without notice
    • Verify if your pet will automatically be quarantined (this is based on the destination country’s quarantine policy)
    • Many countries have specific microchip requirements
    • Look for additional testing requirements prior to travel, such as vaccine titers, parasite testing or treatment, etc., prior to travel
      • Some of these tests are required weeks to months prior to travel – plan accordingly!
  2. Call the airline to find out their requirements, which include:
    • Travel carrier requirements
    • Location of pet in plane
    • Sedation policy
    • Health certificate / vaccination / parasite control requirements
  3. Have definitive travel plans with specific dates and a DESTINATION ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER.
  4. Determine if USDA endorsement is required.
  5. Health certificates typically need to be issued within ten (10) days of travel, but that needs to consider the logistics of having the document sent to the USDA’s office in Austin to be endorsed, returned, and office hours.

You and your family may choose to bring your pet along on a cruise. If your pet will be leaving the boat or ship, he or she may also have to meet the requirements of each country where your pet will be off-loading. The first step when facilitating a pet export by ship is to obtain the itinerary information. Once the itinerary information has been obtained, we can contact the local USDA-APHIS office for guidance on what health certificates and additional documents your pet may need based on your travel itinerary. Commercial cruise ships that allow pets to travel may have additional requirements. You should check with your cruise line to determine what requirements they may have.

Newsletter Sign Up